Thursday 17 October 2013

‘I Ran Away From Home To Do Music’ - YQ

‘I Ran Away From Home To Do Music’ - YQ
YQ, real names, Yakubu Jubril, is one of the artistes that Nigerians, home and abroad have grown to love over the years, following his consistent release of hit songs. Having featured on many artistes’
songs. Many say his vocal dexterity is what stands him out. ROTIMI IGE caught up with him recently and brings the excerpts of their interaction.

What has YQ been up to in recent times?

I’ve been working on my sophomore album and just travelling basically.

Tell us about your new singles and the ideas behind them.

‘Turn it up’ is my latest, and is a combination of Dancehall and Caribbean sounds with some afro beat in it. I would be dropping another one soon.

Your collaboration with Terry G on ‘Sandalili’ was a huge hit. How did that happen?

I was just free styling on my producer, Fliptyce’s beat and he said he liked the ‘Sandalili’ idea. When Terry G heard it, he liked it and thereafter, we decided to work together on the song.

Why hasn’t YQ dropped an album in recent times?

You don’t just release an album. You build up a level of anticipation for it first and that’s what I and my team are doing now. Watch this space as we unfold our plans.

People compare you and Wande Coal...
I respect Wande as an artiste but I make my own music just as he does his. Now, if people compare us,
then perhaps they see a connection in our stories or music.

Who were your musical influences while growing up?

I had quite a number of influences ranging from Born Jamaicans, Wayne Wonder, 112, Boys2Men, Natedogg, Nas, Platashun Boiz, Akon, etc

When you decided to do music professionally, did you have your parents support?

Capital NO. As a matter of fact, I had to run away from home to achieve my musical dream.

What kind of music do you do exactly?

Afrobeat, R n b/Pop with a combination of African vibes and sounds.

What makes YQ unique?

I always try to be me, no matter what.

You have featured on many tracks with numerous artistes.  Which were most memorable?

‘Efimile’ featuring Dagrin, ‘Area’ with M.I Abaga, ‘Duro’ with Naeto C, ‘Sandalili’ featuring Terry G, ‘Efimile’ Remix featuring Banky W, Eldee, M.I, Naeto C and Ice Prince.

What should fans look forward to from you this year?

The rebranding and rebirth of YQ

Any album in the making?

Definitely yes.

What collaborations should fans look forward to?

I’m working on some good artistes. When the time comes, my fans will know.

You were close to Dagrin and was one of the first artistes to feature him on one of your songs. How did you meet Dagrin?

We met at Sheyman’s studio when I and my ex-label boss, MK/2Koncept Entertainment went to record Tustep’s song, also an ex-label mate and friend.

Your friendship was evident as you both were, many times, seen together. How close were you together really?

We were very close because we were real to ourselves.

Did he always have that super star quality?

He was a workaholic and always said he was going to make it big. He had the drive and determination. I learnt that from him.

When he sadly passed away, he was alone in the car that night? How did that happen as artistes are generally known to move with close associates?

God knows everything.

How and when did you learn about his death?

I was resting at home and I noticed that my phone was ringing repeatedly. Then I noticed some fans outside my window, running around and talking in groups. I sought to know what was wrong and when I picked my phone, I learnt of his sad demise.

Some people claim his death was suspicious...what is your take on this allegation?

God sees everything, people must always talk.

How has life been without Dagrin?

It has not been easy but we have to move on, though I still miss him.

What are you all doing to immortalise him?

We always represent  him and try to keep his legacy alive

With the new crop of street rappers like Olamide and co, do you think they could have become this big if Dagrin was still alive?

The sky is vast and with God, every man is meant to be successful. It depends on their hustle and hope.

How do you spend your normal day?

I pray, record songs, play ps3 and watch TV, if it’s a free day.

How do you relax?

I spend time with my team, drink and discuss the way forward.

Favourite fashion item?

Shades, T-Shirts and sneakers.

Tell us something many people don’t know about you?

I ran away from home at 16 to pursue my hustle.

Your ideal woman would possess...

Beauty in and out and the fear of God.


Credit: Tribune

No comments:

Post a Comment